6/29/09 - Better Your Business Part 1  

Posted by RockLove in , ,

Yesterday, on Etsy.com, I started a forum thread entitled "Your Big Dirty Secret" encouraging my fellow crafters to join me in sharing business secrets to our success. Big fish in the industry never want to tell; never help out us little guys... so why not compile amongst ourselves what little nuggets of wisdom our diligence has gleened.

1. PITCH
Don't be afraid to ask a magazine or newspaper to feature your work. Your work in a new boutique, art openings, street faires - if it is local, be sure to tie the story into the community to interest readers. Pitch them the story (don't wait for them to come to you with the idea), never underestimate the power of a free giveaway (something expensive) and have pictures and some sort of reader tie in at the ready.
Once you get a connection, keep it and gently hound... these editors are very busy and need a few reminders of your existence. And if it's not print worthy, ask if it could be on their website instead.

2. START A MAILING LIST (thanks to TheTinyFig)
Start a mailing list. It's an easy way to get people to remember you, announce things, and bring in repeat customers.

3. LIBRARY BOOKS (thanks to SparrowSalvage)
Leave your card in your library books - especially if they relate to what you sell. If you sell jewelery, leave them in jewelery/fashion books. If you sell pet products, leave them in books about that animal. If you sell furniture, leave them in home decor books. Fiction works too, if you sell ornate stuff leave a card in a fantasy fiction, if you sell crisp modern stuff leave them in crime thrillers...make vintage stuff? Leave them in travel books. Some libraries go through returns for bookmarks etc and might throw them out, but judging by the amount of post-its, receipts, library slips etc I find in books, mine don't!

4. CAREFUL PRICING - NOT TOO LOW (thanks to PassePurse)
People like high prices. Sure some people are looking for something really cheap but look at Louis Vuitton and Chanel and Tiffany & Co. They have an almost cultist following and their prices are through the sky. I would prefer to associate my shop with very high quality, high priced merchandise. I see some people on Etsy selling their stuff for so cheap it's painful - I don't know that customers automatically think highly of those products. Low prices are not necessarily a great marketing tool.

5. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A CONTACT (thanks to BeyondtheRockz)
Network and get ready for suprises - never underestimate any contact you have, remain open to all possibilities, and go ahead: put yourself out there and ask!

6. WEAR IT ALL (thanks to RockMyWorldInc)
Always wear all your jewelry. I mean all! Load it on! I wear 3 bracelets, earrings, 2 necklaces, and a ring or 2 on every finger. I only wear my own jewelry... even if I am just going to the grocery. I might forget my makeup and to comb my hair, but I never forget my jewelry. Always have a business card ready... don't try to search for an old used one in your purse - have new fresh ones always!

Stay tuned for Part II...

This entry was posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 at 7:21 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Allison thank you! Not only is this a great read, but your entire blog rockZ!

June 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM
Anonymous  

Thank you for providing a great thread; I enjoyed being a part of it, and for summary on your blog. I love your jewelry, Etsy store, your blog and your twitter page too!
The Passé Purse

June 29, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Post a Comment

Archive